Here are some pictures of the fun times!
Welcome Home Sister Engstrom
My sister Melissa came back from her mission in Montana where she had been serving for the past 19 months. Such a wonderful day! We were so happy to see Liss. I felt so blessed to have been there when she returned and hear about her experiences serving a mission.
Megan's Graduation
Engstrom Girls
Fun Fact: Megan's was the 17th Annual Graduation Commencement from Rafer Johnson Junior High. Guess which sister was in the 1st Annual Rafer Johnson Junior High Graduation Commencement.... I know I am getting old.
The whole family (minus Dave and Jeff).
Nice picture of Luke's back. What a goof ball! :)
Luke and Ginger
A major break through this trip. This is my son who for over a year was dealthy afraid of dogs and any creature that pretty much let's see... moved. Many were the times I experienced the girly screaming and shaking in mommy's arms at the very sight of a furry four-legged friend. Many were the apologizes to friends whose homes we visited who had to remove their animals from the vicinity of Luke's eyesight. Then, of course, there was my wonderful idea to sign Luke up for the 3 Year Old Fall Series Classes at the Cincinnati Zoo where you got to meet and pet some zoo animals. Sounds fun, right? A kid's dream. It was going to be so fun....one tiny problem - Luke turned out to be scared of all animals. Who knew? I was the parent out in the hall begging my son to come in and trying to convince him that "Animals are our friends" and the macaw named Choe was a very nice bird and he didn't have to touch her if he didn't want to. He didn't even have to look at her if he didn't want to, but mommy really needs to go back in and get my purse. Many were the weird looks by Zoo employees, parents, and other 3 year olds who were asking their mommy and daddy's "Why is that little boy is crying?"
So needless to say, it was quite a shock when Luke was begging to go outside to play with my parents dog, Ginger. Luke and Ginger had such a fun time running all over the backyard. Luke would fall down giggling and Ginger would be licking his face all over and part of me was like gross (not I huge fan of dog droll), but then part of me was Yeah! I am so glad that this particular phase of you being afraid of animals is over, now let's go inside and wash your face. I don't think we will brave the 4 year old series at the zoo, but I definitly think this is a major break-through.
San Diego
My parent's treated the family(minus Camille who had to go back to spring term at BYU) to a trip to San Diego. We all had a such great time. Dave was able to fly out and meet us down there. The kids had fun swimming and playing with cousins. We went to Sea World, Legoland, Air and Space Musuem at Balboa Park, Mormon Battalion, and the beach.
Sea World
Our Penguins
Luke riding Elmo's flying fish with Daddy
Luke and Lynnea loved Shamu. Luke went around the park saying: "Shamu, Shamu" for the rest of the day.
"This is the recipe for a perfect day!" - Luke Bjarnson
Mormon Battalion

A really neat church site. A must see if you are ever in San Diego. The tour was so interesting and very well done. I knew a little about the Mormon Battelion, but learned some new fun things. I was inspired by the faith of the volunteers who made up the Mormon Battalion and amazed again at how God's hand is in all things. This was a fun site for kids too. Luke was able to pan for gold, practice making bricks, pump water, climb a tower that over looks Old Town San Diego, play in the wagon and with some cannons. Lynnea loved the fountain.
Legoland
So I realized on this trip that Dave and I are more competitive then I thought. This was a firetruck race and we obviously got really into it. You had to pump those handles up and down, stop, point and shoot water into a window with flames until it went down, and then pump back to the finish. Like big dorks we were strategizing while waiting in line and ending up winning!
Air and Space Musuem
Both Dave and the kids got some flying in.
Dave in the flight simulator
Beach
It was fun to hear the waves and walk in the sand. Luke found his first seashell. He had a lot of fun running from the waves. Lynnea would squeal when the waves hit her toes. Both Luke and Lynnea love the water!













2 comments:
I love your blog! You are such a good writer, Melanie. Your humorous takes on everything make me love your family so much - and I haven't even met the kiddos yet. What a fun trip! And I'm so glad Luke is not afraid of animals, or at least Ginger, anymore.
What a fun trip you guys had! The pictures you posted are great. I can't believe that Megan graduated from 8th grade... and that it was the 17th commencement!! Both of those things make me feel old.
Post a Comment