Monday, May 7, 2012

D is for Derby

It was amazing to me that an hour or so north of here in Northern Kentucky where we used to live the Kentucky Derby is know of and mentioned and I am sure that some people watch it on TV or drive down for the race, but it was really not that big of a deal.  But I came to realize this year living here by Louisville the Kentucky Derby is HUGE!  The kids got a day off school on Friday for OAKS day (it is another horse race I learned) and people have these big Derby parties.  There are parades and air shows and two weeks of events all leading up to the big race. Which confession... Dave and I didn't even watch... I know, I know, I guess we aren't official Louisvilleians yet - maybe next year.

We did enjoy the day off of school for Luke though and went to the Zoo again as a family.

The kids went swimming in their little pool too :)

Luke and I made a horse for a fun activity they were doing at school.  Luke named his horse "Skywalker", but when he came home from school he said that other kids called his horse "Shorty". We used one of those big pencils for the stick which I thought would be great because the directions on the paper said to attach it to a ruler or paint stick, etc.  but I guess some other kids had their horse on those long sticks or something because Luke said that his horse's name is now "Shorty."
So Shorty or Skywalker or who ever you are - it was fun to make you with Luke.
 I got this Sock puppet idea from Disney family fun here. We changed it a little and used one black daddy sock, felt for eyes, bray, and nose, brown flannel for the mane all attached with iron-on adhesive.  Then just yard and pipe cleaner for the bridle.  Paper cups and stuffing plus a ball on a big pencil stick wrapped in black tape made the base/holder.

Luke also had his Kindergarten Program on Thursday night.
They did the ABC's of Kindergarten.  Luke's class has the D: "D is for Derby and how things move.  We can use pushes, pulles, or maybe even hooves."  Can you tell that we spend a couple weeks memorizing parts for the program? :)  It was pretty cute to see Luke up there.

 Goofing off with some classmates

Luke got his Kindergarten Completion Certificate! What a big boy! Good Job Lukey! We are proud of you. :)  

1 comment:

Carrie and Tyson said...

Um, that horse is amazing! You are so creative. I have always wanted to go to the Kentucky Derby. Maybe I should come out one year, we can buy big hats and go!